Wednesday 18 September 2013

Widgets

Ginger and Heirloom Carrot Soup


Happy hump day!

I woke up to another beautiful, yet crisp, morning.

So I busted out the mittens for my bike ride into work ;)

Workout


Yesterday, I had an amazing run with my work running group. It was a perfect fall day, with a bit of crispness to the air when you were in the shade, but a tingle of warmth from the suns rays.

There is definitely starting to be leaves on the ground, although the trees haven’t started changing colours too drastically yet. That’s my fav part about fall, other than wearing comfy sweaters and busting out my boots J

Today I plan on doing another bodyweight hiit workout at home after work. I’m going to do this bodyrock-inspired circuit:



Bodyrock-Inspired Circuit 
Complete one exercise after the other for 50 seconds work, 10 seconds rest for a total of 12 minutes

1 - High plank and jump legs out and in
2 - 10 High knees and 10 Mountain climbers
3 - Push-up burpee
4 - Alternating wood chop with weight



Ginger and Heirloom Carrot Soup


I had to stay a bit late at work last night – I’m working on this crazy report which is taking over my LIFE, but making progress!! I had a lovely bike ride home, the air still had some warmth to it from the sunny day



Even though I had a long day, I got home with a bunch of renewed energy and decided to finally do something with all of the heirloom carrots that I got from the Byward Market recently


So, I made a soup! I have always been a bit intimidated by the whole soup-making process, but its actually super easy. Let me know what you think of the recipe!









It turned out a bit purple, the dark heirloom carrots were like beets! Crazy cray. 


Tasted even more delicious ;)


Ginger Carrot Soup
Inspired by Dr. Weil's Recipe 
 

Ingredients

2 tsp oil (I used avocado oil)
1 medium sized onion, diced
½ cup of cubed ginger
2 pieces of garlic, diced
2 cups carrots, cubed
1 cup potatoes, cubed
4 cups broth  (any type)


Instructions

1 – Put diced onion, cubed ginger, and garlic into oil in a large pot and let it cook on medium heat until onions become translucent (3-4 minutes)

2 – Add carrots and potatoes to the pot, and stir to coat with oil (30 seconds)

3 – Add the broth (I used stock cubes, but I would highly recommend using either fresh stock or homemade stock would be even better) and bring to a boil for about a minute, then cover and let simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until carrots and potatoes have become soft all the way through.

4 – Blend, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy J

No comments:

Post a Comment