Wednesday 23 October 2013

Widgets

Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato and Apple Soup

Morning friends!

How are things?! I had a yummy breakfast wrap this morning, made with 2 eggs (well done - I HATE runny eggs. And, yes padre, I know hate is a strong word...), lettuce and salsa piquante. Delicioso!


And then I had a sunny, yet chilly, bike ride into work today.


That sunshine is SO deceiving

Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato and Apple Soup


So, I made another soup last night. I know, typical Anna move these days. They're just so easy! And so delicious! And so warm and comforting!! Which was everything that I wanted on a cool fall night :)


I bought this bad boy (*ahem* the butternut squash pictured above...) during my weekly grocery run, and hadn't done anything with it yet, so I decided to SEIZE THE DAY and make a soup.


It turned out a bit on the sweet side, since I added a couple of apples as a bit of an afterthought, but everything tastes better with a little sprinkle of salt'n'pepper, amiright?


I was right ;)


Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato and Apple Soup
Inspired by Three Wooden Spoons recipe



Ingredients

2 tbsp coconut oil
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 butternut squash, cubed
1 large sweet potato
2 small apples
4 cups veggie stock



Directions

Dice onion and mince garlic. Cut sweet potato into large chunks, and core apples.

Slice butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds and gunk (yes, a very technical term) and then carefully cut off the skin/rind of the squash and cut into large chunks. [Note: I was painstakingly peeling the squash when my roomie came in and informed me that it might be a better idea to just cut the squash in half and then bake it in the oven at 350F for about 20-30 minutes and then scoop out the meat of the squash and add to the soup pot. After peeling the silly thing, I agree that I would do it this way from now on. Learn from my mistakes, people].

Saute onions and garlic in coconut oil [or oil of choice] in a large soup pot until onions are translucent. Add squash, sweet potato and apples and mix everything until fully coated in coconut oil.

Add the stock to the pot and bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer for about 45 minutes or until sweet potato and squash cubes are soft.

Carefully blend everything until desired consistency, add cinnamon, salt and pepper.

Serve and enjoy!

Can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week or in the freezer for a couple of months.



Let me know if you try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment