Friday 15 November 2013

Widgets

Chocolate Pomegranate Clusters

Morning friends!

Did any of you do a bit of meditation this morning? I started my day off with a wonderful 20 minute pause, where I listened to the soothing voice of Oprah and Deepak Chopra and wildlife...if you have no idea what I'm talking about, read up on my 'Om'-vember challenge here!

Chocolate Pomegranate Clusters

To start off your Friday morning, I thought I would share a quick and delicious recipe that I made the other day.


I'm just going to put it out there: I am a HUGE fan of pomegranates. They are amazing and juicy and delicious and remind me of wonderful Christmas-sy things like sitting with a cup of hot tea by the roaring fire. Even if there is no snow yet and its not even December ;)


I learned a trick from a lady once about cutting off the top of the pomegranate before cutting it in half, since its usually just peel there anyway.


Turns out I bought some sort of monster pomegranate that was jam packed FULL of deliciously delicious seeds, just ripe for the eating.


I actually got a bit of a reputation around my office since I would bring in a half of a pomegranate every once in a while and attempt to eat it at my desk.


 Just an FYI - it is extremely difficult to eat a pomegranate at your desk.


Seeds start flying everywhere, the juice gets all over your desk and hands...its just a mess. Yet, it is still possible, and I think it is totally worth it! Although I decided to de-seed my pomegranates before bringing them into work now, mostly so that I don't get pomegranate juice all over me. It stains.


The recipe that I was following suggested that you dry out the pomegranate seeds before making the chocolate clusters. Which meant that I sat with the pan full of delicious pomegranate seeds and snacked on about a third of them before stopping myself. They are just too dang good!



I didn't have any dark chocolate or chocolate chips hanging around - it never lasts long in my cupboard - so I decided to make some coconut oil and cocoa chocolate, the so-called 'metabolism-revving chocolate'




 I used maple syrup to sweeten it, but I would recommend using agave or stevia - this is the second time I tried making this chocolate, and I find that the maple syrup always separates. Which is find when you want to eat it with a spoon (I mean, why not?!) but it also takes away the convenience of being able to take this goody places with you


Because, trust me, they are tasty enough to want to take them as a snack. Everywhere. Every day.  


I made these in muffin tins so that I could keep the serving sizes smaller, but you could also use a bowl or a serving tray so that you can have a thinner sheet when it cools.


As I mentioned, I ended up eating these with a spoon (so good) but you could also use melted chocolate chips and it would be more like a chocolate bar.


Let me know if you try them out!


 
Chocolate Pomegranate Clusters

Chocolate inspired by Butter Beliver's recipe 
Clusters inspired by Lexie's Kitchen's recipe


Ingredients


¾ cup coconut oil
¾ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup maple syrup
1 pomegranate


Directions


De-seed the pomegranate and lay out flat on a surface (I used a baking sheet) and dab dry with paper towels. Leave out for about half an hour to dry.

Melt coconut oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Once melted, add the cocoa powder and maple syrup and stir until fully mixed together.  [Note: can also melt chocolate chips or a solid chocolate bar]

Add melted chocolate to muffin tin to about ½ the height of each tin [Note: it might be better to use removable muffin tins so that the chocolate holds its shape better and you don’t have to eat it with a spoon like myself]

Add a scoop of pomegranate seeds to each tin.

Put in freezer for about 30 minutes or in fridge for an hour.

Enjoy!


NOTE: I just found this AMAZING video on a better way to de-seed pomegranates. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks pretty convincing. Let me know if you give it a go!


Have a wunderbar Friday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment