Monday 4 November 2013

Widgets

Crustless Quiche with Mushrooms and Kale

Morning friends!

I hope it is as sunny as it is in Ottawa this morning where you are :)

Although it was sunny, it was a pretty frigid bike ride in this morning. From the looks of things, not many other people wanted to brave the cold bike into work this morning. Poor old bluey, all along outside today.

 

Crustless Quiche with Mushrooms and Kale


I saw this recipe on Tone It Up a little while ago, and new I had to give it a try! As I mentioned yesterday, I love it when I can make something ahead of time and be able to just reheat something in the morning for breakfast since I am generally running late...because my snooze button is kind of my best friend these days.

I remember back in the day when I worked at Café Chez Eric in Wakefield, the cook would just whip up a quiche in no time. She always said that it was easy, but I never believed her. I'm here to tell you all - it really is that easy!!


I fried up some onions and mushrooms - although, if you don't like mushrooms or kale, you can use pretty much any combination of veggies that you want. I would just be careful with tomatoes since they might make the end product a bit watery. 


I wanted to use spinach, but settled for kale since my local grocery store didn't have any spinach left. I guess everyone to it faster than I did...


I found it a bit strange to combine greek yogurt and eggs, but it gives the end product a really nice texture.


I threw it all into a casserole dish and then mixed it all together. 


And then baked it for about 30 minutes, checking every 10 minutes or so to make sure it wasn't over-cooked.


Et voila - my first quiche!



I love this recipe since it is super versatile - you can use any filling that you want - AND you don't have to be bothered with making a crust. Even though I've made pumpkin pie with my mom and sisters every Thanksgiving for my entire life (except for this one, for obvious reasons *ahem* my momster is in Egypt) I still have not mastered the art of crust-making. Maybe someday...

...in the meantime, I will avoid crust-making and have a slice of this delicious quiche instead :)


Crustless Quiche with Mushrooms and Kale
Inspired by Tone It Up’s recipe

Ingredients

1 tbsp coconut oil
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1 cup mushrooms
1 cup kale
6 eggs
½ cup plain greek yogurt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350oF.

Sauté onions in coconut oil in a frying pan for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add minced garlic and mushrooms and let cook for about 5 minutes. Add kale to the mix and cover until kale is fully steamed.

Place steamed veggies into an oven-safe casserole dish.

In a separate bowl, mix eggs and greek yogurt (optional). Add egg mixture to casserole dish and stir until veggies are mixed in with the egg.

Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until egg mixture is firm.

Serve warm and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment