Friday 14 February 2014

Widgets

Hellish Travel Day: Bangkok to Koh Samui Island, Thailand

Hi friends, 

Happy valentines day :) 

Hope yours is filled with love, red vino and copious amounts of chocolate. 


Roses that a little guy on Koahsan Road gave us, such a sweetie! 

Mine, unfortunately, was a bit of a nightmare. We had a 6:30am flight leaving from DMK airport (for domestic flights out of Bangkok), so someone had the bright idea to not bother paying for a hotel room and just sleep at the airport beforehand. 


That would be me. And, let me tell you, that was most definitely a bad idea haha. Oof. 


I'm not sure what it was, but the mixture of too much sun the day before, a serious lack of sleep since arriving to Thailand, and maybe the bucket that we drank on Khoasan Road at about midnight (that's a thing here - a bunch of Thai liqueur and mix served in a plastic sand pail - yes, the ones you would use to build a sand castle when you were young - with a few straws. Perfect for drinking solo or with the help of friends), or maybe the ridiculously spicy pad thai street food that I ate on our way to the airport in the taxi...but either way, I was a total mess today. 


After sleeping for a few hours on a bench in the airport, I woke up feeling super nauseous and exhausted and all around disgusting. 


I somehow made it through the check-in process, with the help of Cyn giving me positive encouragement the whole time haha. I was SUCH a mess. 


So, way too much info warning, but I then proceeded to throw up on almost every single mode of transport that we took on our 6 hour journey between Bangkok and Koh Samui: flight to Suri Thet, bus to the ferry, ferry to the island, and a ride in the back of a pick-up truck to our hotel near Changway beach. 


Good news is that aside from puking my guys out and passing out all over the place, I felt good to go after a little nap at our hotel - I have literally never felt so thankful to see a clean bed before in my life. 


And, man was it ever worth it to persevere through the pain of today: this place is absurdly gorgeous. 


My first touch of the water here - so excited to explore the island more tomorrow! 


Now, I'm off to get a Thai massage on the beach to get rid of all the tension I built up during my hellish day. I know, hard life right ;) 


I'll hopefully be back with a recap of our last full day in Bangkok tomorrow. Toodles!



Enjoying our first Singha beer at the Library on Chengway beach and sneakily taking pics of a beautiful wedding behind us ;)


Almost full moon! 


1 comment:

  1. Excellent blogs. I really appreciates with your article. thanks for sharing this blog...
    best restaurants in bangkok | Italian restaurant bangkok

    ReplyDelete